- A couple who survived the deadly New York apartment building fire sued the city and the owner for $ 3 billion.
- Rosa Reyes and Felix Martinez filed class actions in the Bronx Supreme Court on Tuesday.
- The couple accused the owners of the building of failing to address security issues in the buildings sooner.
A couple who survived the deadly Bronx apartment building fire on Sunday filed two class actions on Tuesday, suing both their owners and New York City for $ 3 billion in damages.
It’s the first legal action against the owners of the building since the fire that killed 17 people, including eight children, this weekend.
Rosa Reyes and Felix Martinez, the main plaintiffs, filed class actions in the Bronx Supreme Court on Tuesday, saying the couple suffered “serious and permanent injuries and / or property damage,” according to court documents obtained by the insider.
The lawsuits were filed on behalf of all tenants affected by the fire, claiming $ 1 billion each per tenant in compensatory damages and an additional $ 2 billion in punitive damages for themselves and “everyone else. in the same situation “.
The couple accused the owners of the building of failing to ensure security measures were in place before the blaze.
This includes “[failing] to ensure that the front “steel doors” closed automatically; [failing] ensure that the smoke detectors in the premises in question and in each apartment of the premises in question were functioning; [failing] to make sure the fire escapes were in good working order, ”according to court documents.
The lawsuit went on to say that the couple had suffered “pain, shock, mental anguish” as a result of the incident, adding that “these injuries and their effects will be permanent”.
The lawsuits accused public housing officials in New York City and the Bronx of being aware of the poor building conditions before the fire, but did not resolve the issues.
“The accused Bronx had been informed of the faulty conditions at the premises in question which caused the fire,” the prosecution said.
Representatives for New York City did not immediately return Insider’s request for comment.
In a statement to Newsweek, the building’s ownership group said, “We are devastated by this terrible tragedy and are fully cooperating with the fire department and other agencies as they continue their investigation.”
More than 200 firefighters from the New York Fire Department responded to the scene of a 5-alarm blaze at 333 East 181 Street in the Bronx, according to a Tweeter by the department. FDNY commissioner Daniel Nigro said the fire was caused by a faulty radiator.
Smoke spread throughout the building when the fire broke out and security doors did not close, the Associated Press reported on Monday. The 17 deaths and dozens of injuries were caused by smoke inhalation, Nigro said at a press conference.
“This will be one of the worst fires we’ve seen here in modern times in New York City,” New York City Mayor Eric Adams said on Sunday.