Mount Healthy is continuing a curfew it ordered in August at an apartment complex on the outskirts of town in an attempt to help curb the violence.

The curfew is extended until December

Many residents are afraid to live there, including Danielle Wissel, who left the Clovernook Apartments after bullets passed through her children’s room.

She and other residents have been threatened with guns and have seen teenagers and young adults fight and have sex outside.

The Enquirer made several attempts to contact managers and apartment building owners and was unable to reach them. No message was returned.

The city has declared a curfew only at this apartment complex. The curfew is 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. for those under 17.

During curfew hours, all minors must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian – or be on their way home.

At a Mount Healthy City Council meeting Tuesday, Police Chief Vincent L. Demasi said the apartment complex was taking a heavy toll on the department.

“It overwhelms us, it’s more than we can handle,” Demasi said. “The biggest problem is that the crimes are not of a minor nature.”

There have been homicides in the apartment complex. Flights. Aggressions.

Demasi said these crimes require multiple interviews and often involve searching for suspects and hours of checking inventory items.

The department has 11 full-time officers in addition to the chief, according to city manager Bill Kocher.

Kocher told the city council meeting that the apartment complex was working on securing its own security company, allocating parking spaces to residents and purchasing a license plate reader. registration for all incoming cars.

The Mount Healthy Police Department and Fire Department responded to the Clovernook Apartments 692 times in 2021. Almost half of the races – 310 times – took place between July 1 and October 1, the chief said at the meeting. .

“I’m touching wood, the real violence seems to have subsided,” he said.

In particular, Demasi said the department responded to a residency about 100 times. He said he tried to involve Hamilton County Social Services because many of the calls put a strain on the department.

The curfew resulted in only one arrest and a large majority of the teens were reunited with their families and returned home, Demasi said.

No resident of the apartment spoke at Tuesday’s curfew meeting.

He called the curfew a legitimate reason to initiate and said many young people were coming from other Hamilton County housing projects, such as Hawaiian Terrace, Winton Terrace and English Woods.

Contact Briana Rice at 513-568-3496 or [email protected] Follow her on Twitter at @BriRiceWrites.

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.